Fyfe was engaged by Clarke Energy to support the Engineering, Procurement, and Construction (EPC) of a power station site at Bolivar in South Australia. Fyfe’s integrated services of Civil, Structural, Environmental and Survey provided valuable input into identification of clashes and issues at a preliminary stage and assisted in timely delivery of project deliverables for our client.
Leading green energy company Iberdrola Australia in conjunction with the South Australian government engaged Clarke Energy to relocate an existing 123MW South Australian power station and plant from its current location in Lonsdale to Bolivar.
The peaking power station, powered by four turbine generators will operate on both natural gas and diesel to help to solve the challenges of renewable energy intermittency and improve energy security for South Australia.
Fyfe is providing a range of essential engineering services to the EPC contractor, Clarke Energy, both for the new Bolivar power station and the transportation of plant components.
Our integrated approach means the ability to handle large, complex tenders and provide end-to-end delivery on work packages. While initially contracted for civil works and project management, Fyfe was retained by Clarke Energy for additional services and ongoing construction assistance.
Civil, structural, and environmental engineering services for a range of responsibilities:
- Bulk earthworks design including plans and sections
- Finished surfaces design including road and pavement plans and sections
- Full stormwater design with grading and drainage plans, sections, and details
- Water quality assessment and meeting water quality targets by utilising a combination of treatment elements in the treatment train.
- Civil foundation design with engineering sketches
- Structural design of pipe rack, cable rack, and access platforms with engineering sketches
- The provision of Construction Environmental Management Plan (CEMP), alongside reports documenting the CEMP’s implementation
- Development of landscaping plan and incorporating the same with wastewater Management systems
- Liaising with the Department for Infrastructure and Transport (DIT) regards an intersection on the Northern Connector for a haul road
- Coordinating landscape architectural and wastewater management designs
- Traffic assessment and impact on existing Northern Connector Road during Haulage of heavy equipment.
Approach and challenges
Fyfe Civil team project managed the various components internally with several departments and external sub-contractors. Project managers, designers, drafters, and engineers from our civil engineering team are joined by environmental, structural, and stormwater engineers, giving us the breadth of knowledge and experience needed.
The existing turbines were relocated from Lonsdale to Bolivar via DIT roads. Areas of access within the site and intersection location were identified and developed as a haul road to transport these turbines. The loadings for these turbines were larger than local road capacity and thus special permission was obtained to design and construct a haul road specifically to cater for these loadings. Fyfe designed the civil works internally and on the Northern Connector Road.
We also handled the structural footing design for all site components alongside full environmental reports, while coordinating the delivery of landscaping plans, Wastewater Management, Traffic assessment and Geotechnical Investigations
Fyfe is available to assist with a range of major projects, no matter the complexity or scope.
Please contact us for further information.