Areas of specialisation
Site contamination assessment
Our contaminated land and environmental risk assessment services include:
- Soil classification for reuse or disposal
- Preliminary, site history (desktop) and detailed site investigations
- Customised land contamination assessments
- Integration of environmental investigations with concurrent geotechnical works
- Landfill gas and leachate investigations
- Soil gas and vapour intrusion investigations
- Human health and ecological risk assessments
- Hydrogeological and geochemistry assessments
- Groundwater and surface water monitoring programs
- Groundwater fate and transport and vapour intrusion modelling
- Dense and light non-aqueous phase liquids (NAPLs) investigations
- Investigations and reporting for statutory environmental audits
- Risk screening and prioritisation for a multi-site asset portfolio
- Investigation of contamination by highly mobile and recalcitrant contaminants such as PFAS and chlorinated solvents.
Remediation and management
Management and/or remediation of site contamination may be required if there is a potential risk to human health or the environment, is required contractually, or as part of construction or land development activities.
Fyfe can assist with all aspects of a site remediation project, from initial assessment and design through to implementation and closure.
Fyfe’s integrated team of property development and site contamination professionals can fully coordinate planning and environmental solutions.
Our remediation and management services include:
- Remediation assessments with options detailed
- Remediation design and remedial action plans
- Soil and groundwater remediation (in-situ and ex-situ options)
- Underground storage tank removal and decommissioning
- Soil excavation and disposal
- Onsite repository / encapsulation / capping
- Soil vapour mitigation systems
- Monitored Natural Attenuation of groundwater plumes
- Natural Source Zone Depletion of NAPL
- Validation of remedial works and regulatory close out
- Evaluation of financial risk due to site contamination management and remediation
- Site-specific and construction environmental management plans
- Acid sulfate soils management plans
- Dewatering management plans
- Site management plans
- Emergency incident response.
Auditing and due diligence
Fyfe’s EPA appointed statutory site contamination auditors are experts in streamlining the sign-off of statutory and regulatory projects. Such requirements commonly arise after a polluting event, identification of significant contamination, or when a landowner seeks to redevelop industrial or potentially contaminated land for a more sensitive purpose, such as residential.
Environmental due diligence is an important consideration when purchasing land or property. The purchaser needs to recognise liabilities for contamination, or the status of environmental compliance.
Our auditing and due diligence services include:
- Statutory site contamination auditing
- Expert witness – site contamination and remediation
- Sign-off of sampling and analysis plans and remedial action plans
- Health, safety and environmental audits
- Baseline / pre-occupation and exit environmental condition reports
- Due diligence for mergers and acquisitions
- Portfolio risk assessment and gap analysis
- Quantification of environmental liabilities
- Desktop studies for due diligence purposes (review of existing information)
- Environmental site assessments for due diligence purposes
- Review of environmental compliance in accordance with regulations.
Fyfe’s ecology team has worked across the country in a range of environments. Our team can offer expert advice on survey and monitoring programs to comply with approval conditions and statutory requirements.
Our ecology services include:
- State environment, planning and development approvals
- Assessment and referral under the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999
- Vegetation clearance applications and native vegetation management plans
- Baseline surveys
- Flora, fauna and biodiversity assessments
- Vegetation and weed mapping.
Our environmental engineers have extensive experience working with planners, developers, constructors, and government agencies for their infrastructure environmental needs. In addition to environmental assessment and management services, we also provide the following:
- Stormwater quality management assessment (utilising MUSIC software)
- Geographic information systems (GIS) services
- Environmental data management
- Sediment, erosion and drainage management plans (SEDMPs) inclusive of:
- Detailed plans providing assessment, implementation and monitoring requirements
- Provision of on-site inspection services (pre and during construction)
- Detailed design and accompanying documentation for watercourse crossings (including self-assessable waterway barrier works (QLD)
- Compliance assessment and incident management
- CPESC review and certification of ESC plans.